Monday, February 10, 2014

Curried Beef Heart and Broccoli with Zoodles

Make this Curried Beef Heart & Broccoli for someone you love an offal lot!

Ok, here's the deal. I don't need to tell you that organ meat is super good for you. I don't need to tell you because The Paleo Mom did a great job of it in her article, "Why Everyone Should Be Eating Organ Meat." If you don't believe me, or others, when they say EAT ORGAN MEAT, read her article for yourself and you will come over to the dark side.

Look, I'm totally with you when you say organ meat is terrifying. I'm also with you when you say it's disgusting. I will eat liver (the most nutrient dense of the organ meats), but I have to be in the mood for it-- which is rare. Steph over at Stupid Easy Paleo has a great solution for getting a daily dose of liver, even if you hate it. Check out her frozen liver pills. She takes natural "supplements" to a literal level-- awesome!

One organ I will eat on a regular basis, and one my family will eat as well, is beef heart. Whenever someone says to me that they want to start introducing organ meat, but don't know where to begin, I suggest beef heart. Since the heart is not only an organ, but a muscle as well, it has a meatier texture and flavor, but still contains many benefits of organ meat. Win-win! Also, it's inexpensive, as are all the organ meats. The heart is where to start (unintentional rhyme)! I have a simple recipe for Crock Pot Beef Heart that is a family favorite-- and super easy. It's a great way to start you and your family on organ meats!

If you're looking for another creative way to get in that beef heart, this recipe is a home run! Spicy and flavorful, the curry seasoning accents the unique flavor of the beef heart and will satisfy even the greatest of organ meat skeptics!

I used a mild Balti Curry seasoning, so since I like it spicy I added some red pepper. The red pepper is not necessary if you have a curry seasoning that is already spicy enough for your liking. Also, if you don't like spice, just use a mild curry seasoning and omit the red pepper. Simple as that!

Also, I actually used leftover beef heart from my crock pot recipe to make this. I have given the instructions on how to do this with a fresh raw heart, but if you are making this from leftovers like I did, adjust your seasonings accordingly for your portions, and add the meat at the end of cooking to warm  it up instead of adding it first.

I paired this with zoodles, but if you don't have a spiralizer this would go great with spaghetti squash or cauli rice as well.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did!

Curried Beef Heart and Broccoli with Zoodles (serves 4)


Ingredients:


1 beef heart
2 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
1 yellow onion sliced
1 can full fat coconut milk
3 Tbs curry seasoning
1-2 tsp red pepper (depending on level of spice you prefer)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3-4 zucchinis spiralized (depending on size of zucchinis)
3 Tbs fat for cooking (ghee is best)

Directions:


First you need to trim your beef heart. Remove any excess fat or inedible parts from the heart. Chop the heart into small pieces. Keep in mind, the smaller the pieces, the quicker they'll cook. In a pan over medium heat, melt 2 Tbs of fat. Add the chopped beef heart and begin to brown. Once the outsides have just browned, add the broccoli  and allow to cook down just a bit, then add the onions. If you are using frozen broccoli you can add the broccoli and onions together since the frozen will cook up faster than fresh. Cook in the pan until everything has cooked. Add the coconut milk to the pan and the seasonings. Stir well and allow it cook a bit longer to gel all the flavors together. While it's finishing cooking, in a separate pan over medium heat melt 1 Tbs of fat. Toss in the zoodles and sprinkle with a little salt. Cook the zoodles until just warmed through.

To Plate:


Place a pile of zoodles on a plate. Top with the beef heart and broccoli, and ENJOY!





1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete